|Text & Pictures: Danny De Clercq - ©SBAP 2012|
In the North of France on the Normandy peninsula lies the base of Ecausseville. This Base was started in 1916 built by the Marine Nationale (French Navy) in addition to the town of Montebourg. The air ships that were based here served to escort allied convoys and protect them from German Submarines (U-Boats). The use of air ships adapted required infrastructure to protect them against wind and rain. This huge building is 150m long, 30m high,40m wide and built of concrete. During WW2, the hangar was used by the German army to store materials, including equipment used in the construction of the Atlantic Wall.
From 6 june 1944, the town of Montebourg was very involved in the terrible figthing after the landing on the Normandy beaches. The hangar was the first stronghold in this battle for the qonquest of Montebourg, taken by the American 4th Division on the 10th of june. After the battle, the hangar became a maintenance facility for vehicles of the US Army and for storage. Servicemen of the 105th Battalion of the 860 Ordance Company as well as German prisoners of war worked here until the end of the war.
Contemporary the buildings beside the hangar became a museum with many documents, photos, videos and artefacts of this period.
In the hangar you can fly indoor with a small balloon (Aéroplume), hanging in a harness till 20 m height.
|The remaining hangar from 1919||An armed concrete conception...|
|A model exhibition explaining the second hangar conception and structures|
|A model af the site like it was during the golden years of the place||The first hangar from 1917 in wood structure|
|Side building with pictures and Santos Dumont "Demoiselle" replica|
|Indoor activities in the historic hangar||Amazing size of the hangar|
|Self indoor flight are possible with the "aeroplume"|
Pieces of the Focke Wulf 190 A8, registration 170972 shot down during an attack on the peninsula of Contentin and crashed in Saint-Andre-de-Bohon in july 1944. Flown by Gerfreiter Walter Gehr of the 4th JG1. The pilot's body has never been found.
|The remain of the "190"||Engine parts|
|Position of the retreived elements (courtesy Aerobase)|
For more informations click on the banner
|Aerial view of the site (google earth)|
Museum main page -Homepage