Text & Pictures: Serge Van Heertum  © sbap 2013

 

Renard R31 just before the Second World War (Coll SBAP)

A bit of excitement on September 9th at the base of Beauvechain, when a lot of cars arrives at the facilities of the 9th Squadron. Most visitors are veterans, mustaches that wrote the book on the squadron, or even former members of the renowned team of the “Red Devils”. Indeed, a nice reunion was organized to commemorate the 95th anniversary of the 9th Squadron, and to usher in the “Green Room”, that will serve as well as briefing room for the “Red Devils”. The team that has been integrated into the 9th Squadron since some time, as it was in the beginning of the history of the aerobatic team.
Let’s go back in time…
It’s the 1st of March 1918, when the 9th Squadron was created at the airfield of “De Moeren”, not far from the coast, and the French border. Created with the help of the personnel and some planes from the 1st Squadron, the chosen emblem was the “Scottish Thistle”. At the moment of creation of the 9th Squadron, the First World War was almost over, and after the end of hostilities, the 9th moved to the vicinity of the capital, at Berchem-Saint-Agathe. This was for a relatively short period of time, because in March 1920, the squadron will move to Schaffen. In 1924, the squadron will become the 2nd Squadron.
In 1935, the denomination of the “9th Squadron” makes its comeback in the Belgian military aviation. Based in Bierset, the squadron was equipped with Renard R31 and receives a Sioux head in a blue circle as logo, and their motto became “Tenacity”. The squadron takes part in combat, following the German attack of May 10th 1940, and will participate bravely in the fight throughout the 18-day campaign.
The 9th Squadron returned to the front stage after the creation of the 7th Wing based in Chièvres, and received at that moment the logo of a “Cocotte” (paper bird) against a green background, with the motto “Get In”. The bird was the personal emblem of Willy Coppens from Houthulst during the war. In March 1952, the squadron moved on to the jet era (Meteor F.8 and then Hunter F.4) and was finally dissolved in March 1957.
The 9th squadron was reinstated in November 1971 at Brustem airbase in the training center and received the mission to train new instructors, who would afterwards be assigned to either the 7th or the 11th Squadron.
In November 1996, the bases of Brustem and Goetsenhoven were abandoned and all training units were dissolved and then regrouped in the 1st Training Wing at Beauvechain. In August 2001, the 9th was dissolved again to give way to the 7th Sqn, which took over the role previously assigned to the 9th Squadron.  After the move of the Alpha Jet and the 7th Squadron to the French airbase at Cazaux and Tours, the 9th Squadron was reactivated once again in November 2005, and took charge of the training and evaluation of instructors on the SF.260. The 9th became a real “flying squadron” again on February 21st , 2008, when it received the traditional insignia of the “Paper Bird” again. In September 2010, the squadron was transferred from the 1st Training Wing to the CC-Air (Competence Center Air) which was newly created, and still at Beauvechain airbase.

The missions of the 9th squadron today are:

- Single engine IFR courses for pilots converting to transport aircraft, NH-90 helicopter or to obtain an equivalent civilian license (end of career).

- Management of the non-organic instructor pilots on SDF.260, delivering support to both 5th and 9th Squadrons.

- Converting almost all pilot Staff Officers on SF.260 and guaranteeing their continuity flying training up to a possible conversion as Operational Instructor Pilot (OPS-IP)

- Since 2012, hosting the Belgian Air Force "Red Devils" display team, consisting of instructor pilots of both 5th and 9th Squadrons.

This day was also an opportunity to get together as many « Red Devils » as possible, to celebrate the opening of the new briefing room. Let’s recall that the “Red Devils”were founded under the leadership of Robert “Bobby” Bladt who, after having helped to evolve the Meteor F.8 of the “Acrobobs” (350th Squadron) was assigned to Chièvres in the 7th Wing. It was in Chièvres that an aerobatic team was established by “Bobby” Bladt in 1957, with Hunters, and took on the official name of “Diables Rouges – Rode Duivels” (Red Devils FR – NL) in 1960. The team would evolve to hunter until the closure of Chièvres in June 1963. It was in 1965 that the team was revived on Potez CM-170R Fouga Magister under the leadership of Jacques “Red” Dewaelheyns. After hours of training, the new team made its first public demonstration at Brustem, on June 27th 1965. The team and its Fougas would visit European shows until 1977, the year when the team was dissolved after a decision of the General Staff.
This time, the “Red Devils” returned to the front stage on Siai Marchetti SF.260. It was based on the team “Hardship Red” and on an idea of Jacques “Red” Dewaelheyns (him again… he has the devil under his skin…) that the team took up the name of “Red Devils” again. This was also to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the Air Force in 2011. As the team couldn’t remain with a “home squadron”, it was included in the 9th Squadron, and thus the circle is complete again (quite normal for an aerobatic team…).

Here are some pictures of this memorable day at Beauvechain airbase. We want to emphasize that the SBAP team was very happy to be able to provide assistance through our archives. We thank Sam “Fonske” Van der Linden, Commanding Officer of the 9th Squadron and, Paul “Polle” Leys, the leader of the “Red Devils” for the invitation, and the warmest of welcomes!

Robert "Bobby" Bladt, the first Red Devil (Coll SBAP)

The jet era with a Meteor F.8 (Coll SBAP)

Un peu d’effervescence en ce 09 septembre à la base de Beauvechain, un cortège de véhicules rejoint les installations de la 9ème escadrille. Pour la plupart, les visiteurs sont des anciens, des moustachus qui ont écrit les pages de l’escadrille ou encore celles de l’incontournable team des "Red Devils". En effet, une bien sympathique réunion y était organisée pour commémorer les 95 années d’existence de la 9ème escadrille et inaugurer la "Green Room", qui servira également de briefing room au "Red Devils". Le team qui, depuis peu a été intégré au sein de la 9ème escadrille, comme ce fut le cas au début de l’histoire de la patrouille acrobatique.

Retour vers l’histoire…

C’est le 1er mars 1918 que fut créé la 9ème escadrille sur l’aérodrome "De Moeren" non loin de la côte et de la frontière française. Formée à l’aide du personnel et de quelques avions de la 1ère escadrille, l’emblème choisit fut le "Scottish Thistle". Lors de la création de la 9ème escadrille, la première guerre mondiale était quasi terminée et après la cessation des hostilités, la 9ème escadrille déménagea pour se retrouver dans les environs immédiats de la capitale, à Berchem Saint Agathe. Ce fut pour une relativement courte période, car en mars 1920, l’escadrille s’installa à Schaffen. En 1924, l’escadrille changea pour devenir la 2ème escadrille…

C’est en 1935 que la dénomination 9ème escadrille revint dans la structure de l’aéronautique militaire. Basée à Bierset, l’escadrille fut équipée de Renard R31 et reçu comme insigne la tête de sioux dans un cercle bleu avec comme devise "Tenacity". L’escadrille prit part aux combats suite à l’attaque allemande du 10 mai 1940 et participa avec courage aux combats tout au long de la campagne des 18 jours.

La 9ème escadrille revint au-devant de la scène lors de la création du 7ème Wing sur la base de Chièvres et reçu à ce moment-là, "la cocotte" sur fond vert comme insigne avec la devise "Boutez en avant" (Get In). La cocotte qui fut l’emblème personnel de Willy Coppens de Houtulst pendant la grande guerre. En mars 1952, l’escadrille passa à l’ère du jet (Meteor F.8 et ensuite Hunter F.4) et fut finalement dissoute en Mars 1957.

La 9ème escadrille fut réactivée en novembre 1971 à Brustem au sein du centre de perfectionnement et avait pour mission la formation des nouveaux moniteurs qui après étaient affectés à la 7ème ou à la 11ème escadrille.

En novembre 1996, les bases de Brustem et Goetsenhoven furent abandonnées et toutes les unités dévolues à l’entraînement furent regroupées au sein du 1er Training Wing de Beauvechain.

En août 2001, la 9ème escadrille fut à nouveau dissoute pour laisser la place à la 7ème escadrille qui reprit la mission précédemment dévolue à la 9ème.

Après le déménagement des Alpha Jet et de la 7ème escadrille vers la bases françaises de Cazaux et Tours, la 9ème escadrille fut réactivée en novembre 2005 et prit en charge la formation et l’évaluation des instructeurs SF.260. La 9ème redevint un "flying squadron" à part entière le 21 février 2008 lorsqu’elle reçu le drapeau portant l’insigne de tradition de la "cocotte verte". En septembre 2010, la 9ème escadrille fut transférée du 1er Wing Training vers le CC-Air (Competence Center Air) nouvellement créée et ce toujours à la base de Beauvechain.

Les missions de la 9ème escadrille aujourd’hui sont :
- Assurer les cours IFR mono-moteur pour les pilotes en conversion qui seront affecté au transport, au nouvel NH-90 ou aider à l’obtention de la licence civile équivalente (Fin de carrière).
- Le management des instructeurs pilotes sur SF.260 non-organique, en support aux 5ème et 9ème escadrille.
- Assurer la conversion sur SF.260des pilotes ayant une fonction d’Etat-Major et garantir la continuation de leur entrainement avec une possible conversion comme Pilote Instructeur Opérationnel (OPS-IP)

- Depuis 2012, l’intégration du team acrobatique de la Force Aérienne Belge
"Red Devils" formé par  des instructeurs des 5ème et 9ème escadrille.

Cette journée fut également l’occasion de rassembler un maximum de "Red Devils" pour souligner l’inauguration du nouveau briefing room. Rappelons que les "Red Devils" virent le jour sous l’impulsion de Robert "Bobby" Bladt qui après avoir fait évolué les Meteor F.8 des "acrobobs" (350 Sqn) fut affecté à Chièvres au sein du 7ème Wing. C’est à Chièvres qu’un team acrobatique fut mis sur pied par "Bobby" Bladt en 1957 avec des chasseurs Hunter et pris l’appellation officielle de Diables Rouges – Rode Duivels en 1960. Le team évolua sur Hunter jusqu'à la fermeture de Chièvres en juin 1963.

C’est en 1965 que le team revit le jour sur Potez CM-170R Fouga Magister sous l’impulsion de Jacques "Red" Dewaelheyns. Après des heures d’entraînement, la nouvelle patrouille fit sa première démonstration publique à Brustem le 27 juin 1965. Le team et ses Fouga allaient parcourir les shows européens jusqu’en 1977, année de la dissolution du team suite à une décision de l’Etat-Major.

Les "Red Devils" revinrent au-devant de la scène sur Siai Marchetti SF.260 cette fois. C’est sur base du team "Hardship Red" et sur une idée de Jacques "Red" Dewaelheyns (encore lui, il a le diable dans la peau…) que le team de base reprit la dénomination de "Red Devils". Renommé ainsi pour souligner le 65ème anniversaire de la Force Aérienne en 2011.

Comme le team ne pouvait pas rester sans escadrille d’attache, il fut intégré au sein de la 9ème escadrille et ainsi la boucle est bouclée (normal pour un team acrobatique…)


Voici quelques photos de cette journée de mémoire à la base de Beauvechain. Soulignons également que le team SBAP est heureux d’avoir pu apporter son aide grâce à nos archives. Nous tenons à remercier Sam "Fonske" Van der Linden Commanding Officer de la 9ème escadrille et Paul "Polle" Leys le leader des "Red Devils" pour l’invitation et leur accueil des plus chaleureux.

Jacques "Red" Dewaelheyns, the first Fouga Red Devil (Coll SBAP)
  
The guest waiting the 9 Sqn planes and the Red Devils display (Serge Van Heertum)
"Fifi" and "Red"...always Devils minded! (Serge Van Heertum) "Fred" Burniat and "Jos" Lelotte (Serge Van Heertum)
"Pedro" Buysse and "Danny" Van Belle (Serge Van Heertum) "Bill" Scruel (right) (Serge Van Heertum)
"Dédé" Muller (Serge Van Heertum) "Palmer" De Vlieger and "Steve" Nuyts...the unforgettable "Slivers"
(Serge Van Heertum)
"Gus" Janssens, "Leo" Lambermont and "Yogi" Storder (Serge Van Heertum)
"Danny" Van Belle, "Jean" Breuls de Tiecken and the "Red Devils" technicians and PR (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)

(Serge Van Heertum)

(Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)

(Serge Van Heertum)

(Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
Four boys in the wind..."Mag", "Daffy", "Polle" & "Stef" (Serge Van Heertum)
9 Sqn CO "Fonske" Van der Linden speech
(Serge Van Heertum)
"Polle" Leys Red Devils N°1 speech
(Serge Van Heertum)
9 Squadron "Get In" Commander Officers

1952-1953 De Mey L.

1953-1955 De Ligne A.

1955-1956 Goosse B.

1956-1957 Mouzon L.

1972-1974 Delbeke D.

1974-1976 Bieuvelet M.

1976-1978 Nuyts G.

1978-1981 Schoups JP.

1981-1982 Rabaey J.

1982-1983 Bouret M.

1983-1985 Claes L.

1985-1985 Evrard C.

1985-1985 Van De Putte E.

1987-1989 De Sutter E.

1989-1991 Meynckens L.

1991-1993 Vantieghem P.

1993-1996 Pirsoul P.

1996-1998 Jaucot L.

1998-2001 Conte L.

2001-2007 Rorive P. (7 Sqn)

2005-2010 Desiron W.

2010-2011 Noppe D.

2011-2013 Van der Linden S.
 

The assistance listening... (Serge Van Heertum) ...and a signature in the 9 Squadron guest book (Serge Van Heertum)

Some of former 9 Squadron CO's signing the guest book: L.Mouzon, Steve Nuyts, Claude Evrard, André Muller, Pascal Van Thiegem, Luc Jaucot
 (Serge Van Heertum)

Enter the Green room and the Devils den (Serge Van Heertum) Inaugured by the Godfather "Red" Dewaelheyns (Serge Van Heertum)
The wall of Fame (Serge Van Heertum)
The past and the present pictorial view (Serge Van Heertum) The souvenir corner (Serge Van Heertum)
The Belgian display teams timeline realized by "Mag" (Serge Van Heertum)
Proud to have a nice briefing room (Serge Van Heertum) The team with the Godfather (Serge Van Heertum)
Souvenir and remembrance... (Serge Van Heertum) Time for shopping at "Red Devils" shop...  (Serge Van Heertum)
"Fifi" at the barbecue (Serge Van Heertum) The drink vouchers providers (Serge Van Heertum)
Friendly atmosphere during the lunch (Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
(Serge Van Heertum) (Serge Van Heertum)
Time for the group pictures of the day
UP: "Jos" Lelotte, "Jean" Breuls de Tiecken, "Lulu" Servais, "Guy" Putman (PR), "Leo" Lambermont, "Fred" Burniat", "Danny" Van Belle, "Red" Dewaelheyns,
"Pedro" Buysse, "Gus" Janssens, "Bill" Scruel, "Dédé" Muller
Stand: "Jean" Ligot, "Papy" Collard, "Stef" Braem, "Mag" Malburny, "Daffy" Vanhaeren, "Polle" Leys
(Serge Van Heertum)
The 9 Squadron guest (Serge Van Heertum)
Some of the 9 Squadron CO from begin until today
From Left to Right : Luc Pirsoul, Werner Desiron, André Muller, Luc Jaucot, Sam Van der Linden (with 9 sqn tradition flag), Steve Nuyts, L Mouzon, Gilbert Conte,
L. De Mey daughter, Pascal Van Thiegem, A. de Ligne. (Claude Evrard absent on the picture)
(Serge Van Heertum)

Reports Menu - Homepage