Text: Pierre Taquet - Pictures: Collection Pierre Taquet & Serge Van Heertum (other as mentionned) © sbap 2014
   

On May 12th, 1956, the de Havilland DH-89A “Dragon Rapide” G-AHJS (c/n 6967) was on approach to the runway of Gosselies. The aircraft, originally intended for the Royal Air Force, coded TX309 never wore the uniform and immediately received the De Havilland company colours on April 08th, 1946, with the airworthiness certificate n°. 10115. Afterwards the plane was acquired by FaireyAviation Co Ltd based at White Waltham, airworthiness certificate n°. 7725 dated of July 18th, 1946.

It was quite normal the aircraft of the Fairey-company was on approach towards Gosselies airfield that day, carrying out the air link between the parent company and the Fairey office in Belgium with Mr & Mrs Fairey on board. The aircraft slipped out of the runway and the plane was seriously damaged. The airplane was repaired and continued to fly with the Fairey-company going onto Fairey Aviation Ltd (new company name) on June 25th, 1959 and finally to Westland Aircraft Ltd - Fairey Aviation Divison on June 22th, 1961. G-AHJS flew for this British company untill the end of 1964 and was subsequently sold to Hansair Ltd on January 11th, 1965, based at Eastleigh.

Thereafter on June 22th, 1965, she was registrated to Robin Air Ltd and used by the Three Counties Aero Club at Blackbush. This would be the end of the operational career as the aircraft was sold on February 01st, 1966 to the Lasham company and its airworthiness certificate striked out on May 20th, 1966. The registration G-AHJS disapeared permanently from the British aeronautical register on July 13th, 1973 (Pwfu : permanently withdrawn from use).

The plane stayed abandoned at Blackbush from 1966 till 1973 when the remains were bought by the Netheravon company for scrap parts. A number of the still useable parts were most likely acquired by the Durney Collection, near Andover, and used for the DH-89A, registered G-ALAX.
To come back on the Fairey-company, other DH-89A were used of which the OO-AFG, superbly restored and preserved at the Air Museum in Brussels in the colours of the Lancashire Aircraft Corporation.

   
The G-AHJS slipped out (Coll Pierre Taquet) (Coll Pierre Taquet)
   
(Coll Pierre Taquet) Seriously damaged (Coll Pierre Taquet)
   
(Coll Pierre Taquet) The car in the background was the one of E.O. Tips (Coll Pierre Taquet)
   
(Coll Pierre Taquet) (Coll Pierre Taquet)
   
(Coll Pierre Taquet)
   
Eastleigh in the mid 1960's (Coll Serge Van Heertum / sbap) Note the addition of D/F loop antenna (Internet Air Britain)
   
The plane was operated by the 3 counties Aero Club and based at Blackbush
(Coll Serge Van Heertum / sbap)
Airworthiness certificate was stopped on May 20th, 1966
(Internet Air Britain)
   
The Fairey Company OO-AFG in use after the G-AHJS (Coll Pierre Taquet)
   

 

Archivalia main page - Homepage